Dear Harfield Village Residents,
This year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Mandela Day on the 18th July celebrations will be mostly digital. However, here are a few Mandela Day ideas for people to celebrate this day (while still social distancing):
- Do a Harfield Village or beach clean up.
- Sort through your cupboards and put together bags of clothes and other household items to donate to a charity. E.g. U-Turn.
- Collect sanitary products to donate to schools, children’s homes, women’s centres, and hospitals.
- Make ‘care kits’ for patients in hospitals – include items like toothpaste, soap, shampoo, facecloth, comb, reading material, and other useful items.
- Put together food parcels and drop them off at a shelter or U-Turn – a few ideas include canned goods, soup kits, porridge, bread, vegetable parcels, or ready-made sandwiches.
- Donate blood or sign up to become an organ donor.
- Collect stationery and other educational materials to donate to schools in need.
- When buying your regular coffee on the day, pay for the person’s order behind you. Or, buy a few extra coffees and hand them out to the first people you see.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter.
- Send cake and other treats to your nearest old age home or treatment centre for the staff and residents to enjoy.
- Buy U-Turn vouchers and hand them out to the Homeless people living on our streets.
It is easy to break down and destroy.
The heroes are those who make peace and build. – Nelson Mandela